Sunday, February 17, 2013

Homemade Fruit Leather

A weakness of mine is Fruit by the Foot. It is such a yummy treat but horrible for you. I wanted to try to make some of my own, so I tried out this recipe.
I used strawberries and bananas (about 3 cups of strawberries and 1 cup of bananas chopped up)

Once I got them cut up, I cooked them on the stove



Then, I put it in the blender to get a smooth texture.
Next, I covered a pan in plastic wrap and poured the fruit on it.



It has to stay in the oven for many hours, the recipe said 8-12 hours on 140 F, but the lowest my oven could go is 170 F, and I left it in for about 7 hours.



Out of the oven! You know it is ready when the top is no longer sticky, but smooth.


I cut it with a knife into sections to form a Fruit by the Foot or Fruit Rollup



It tastes pretty good! Obviously not the same as the candy, as they are not natural and instead filled with preservatives. Some parts of my fruit leather came out stretchy and some came out more like a chip texture. It was pretty simple to make and healthy, you just need to keep in mind that it takes a while to cook.
It is great as a snack and kids would love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment